Pipe Cleaners and a Pringles Can

Make this DIY learning activity using pipe cleaners and a Pringles can.
Pipe Cleaners and a Pringles Can

I saw this idea at LearningWith Bella. Take a Pringles can and punch holes in the lid. Use permanent markers and color around each hole. Find 2-3 pipe cleaners of each color and let your child put the pipe cleaner in the same colored hole. B’s favorite part….to take the lid off and dump them out!

With a younger child just punch one hole in the middle of the lid and let them practice putting them in the hole (without having to match the colors). Be careful though, sometimes the ends of pipe cleaners are sharp.

• Reply Giggly Girls

This is on our list of things to try this week. I finally went out and got the pipe cleaners so we’re good to go.

Your blog is just wonderful! I’m excited to try out some of your activities.

September 6, 2009 at 6:13 pm
  • Reply Michelle

This is such a great idea. I have 1,000 colored pipe cleaners so this will be a great way to use some of them!

September 6, 2009 at 7:36 pm
  • Reply Mama Jenn

I think this is my first time at your site and I love this idea! Can’t wait to check out more of your blog!

September 6, 2009 at 9:14 pm
  • Reply Miller Moments

This is a great activity!

September 7, 2009 at 10:44 pm
  • Reply whisperingwhispers

I wanted to get back to you about Progressive Phonics. With Selena since she knew her ABC’s and the phonic sounds I went strait for the phonic books. I do not use their writing pages since I have a full pre school curriculum from Christian Liberty Press, I would start with a pre writing which would work on fine motor skills rather then writing the ABC’s and numbers themselves. Some Mom’s are using the Kumon Books which can be found at Amazon.com I hope this answers your question. I just didn’t see an email to respond to you in a more private way. Thank you for stopping by our site.

September 8, 2009 at 3:24 pm
  • Reply Super Random Girl

You might also be able to find a cheese shaker (glass jar with metal lid that has holes in it) in your dollar store. Either way, this is a great activity!

September 9, 2009 at 11:05 pm
    • Reply Kathleen

Thanks for this tip! I picked up a cheese shaker yesterday and tried this activity today with my almost-3yo. He loved it!

March 1, 2013 at 8:44 pm
  • Reply April

You know I saw on another blog where a mom gave her toddler straws to put into a parmesean cheese container to help her with her fine motor skills. Well we never buy parmesean cheese so I was trying to come up with a similar idea and I think this would be perfect. Thanks Alot!

September 16, 2009 at 1:52 am
  • Reply Kathleen

What a great idea! May have to try this with my almost-3yo. I’m trying to develop a list of activities he can do while his 6yo brother is doing homeschool. He also loves to do 3-letter word puzzles, like these: http://www.amazon.com/Three-Letter-Words-School-Publishing-Company/dp/0887432778/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp. Thanks for the idea!

February 28, 2013 at 3:00 am