2009 ACTIVITY Advent Calendar (Printable)

There are so many different, awesome types of advent calendars out there. I was having a hard time deciding on one and then it occured to me that one Christmas activity a day would be fun for us.

Activity Advent Calendar

I made and printed the activity cards (below), sewed 25 felt pockets (pictured above, directions below in the comments section), and used foam stickers for the numbers.
My goal with this advent calendar was for it to be EXCITING and MEMORABLE for B, but also EASY and SIMPLE for me to put together and adjust if needed.

2009 Activity Advent Calendar List

1) Make a Bow Wreath (Stick bows on a paper plate)
2) Santa Dice Game
3) Make a Candy Cane Ornament (Kit)
4) Christmas Tree Sizing Cut and Paste
5) Candy Cane Reindeer (candy cane, pipe cleaner, eyes)
6) Christmas Light ABC Activity
7) Santa Scissors Practice
8) Letter to Santa
9) Christmas Cookie Ornaments
10) Paint Christmas Tree Picture and Glue Paper Circles (ornaments)
11) Roll and Color Reindeer
12) Christmas Bulb Patterns
13) Make Paper Snowflakes (out of cupcake liners)
14) Make and Decorate Cookies
15) Santa’s Cotton Ball Beard
16) Christmas Elf Color by Number
17) Rip and glue Paper Plate Wreath
18) Snowman Shapes Craft
19) Santa – Trace and Color
20) Make Jingle Bell Bracelet or Necklace
21) Take Picture with Santa
22) Wrap presents
23) Reindeer Paper Plate Craft
24) Decorate Cookies for Santa
25) Christmas

Plan B (in case something doesn’t go as planned like picture with Santa or wrapping presents):

*** Updated Links Aug. 2010***

Want to join the fun?

Print out the activity cards (below).
Click on the links above to print activities.
Gather other needed supplies.

Christmas Countdown

Don’t want to sew pockets?
Hang the cards from your tree.
Wrap the cards and tape them on a door.
Put the cards in envelopes in a special box.

• Reply Adriana

You are my hero! I have wanted to do something like this but I have just not found the time. I can’t wait to print these out. Thank you so much!

November 27, 2009 at 6:21 pm
  • Reply alicia b

Do you have directions on how you did the holder? I think this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Alicia B

November 27, 2009 at 11:53 pm

DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING THE POCKETS/CALENDAR

*Cut one piece of felt 20in (w) X 26 in. (h).
    *Cut 5 strips measuring 4in X 20 in.
    *Spread the strips out evenly with about one inch in between each strip and about 2 inches left at the top.
    *Pin your strips to the larger piece of felt.
    *Sew around the border of the calendar.
    *Sew across the bottom of each strip.
    *Sew a line going up every 4 in. to make the pockets. (To speed up the process, I just sewed up the whole calendar in one continuous line, like a grid, instead of stopping at the top of each pocket.)
    *Each pocket will measure approximately 4in. X 4 in.
    *Sew the top into a loop to slide in a dowel or use the extra fabric to clip or pin somewhere. (I didnโ€™t leave enough fabric at the top so I am going to pin the calendar somewhere.)

My sewing skills are about a 2 on a scale of 1-10 (10 being Martha). My lines arenโ€™t straight but you canโ€™t really tell with the felt.

I didnโ€™t take any pictures while I was doing it, so if you need more clarification or have any questions as you go, just let me know! =)

November 28, 2009 at 1:39 am
  • Reply alicia b

Those are directions I can follow. ๐Ÿ™‚ I just needed the size and general idea. I am about a two on sewing also but I think it will be an easy enough project and really something I have been looking for. Thanks for posting the idea and the directions. I am enjoying your blog.

Alicia B

November 28, 2009 at 3:21 am
  • Reply alicia b

I made ours last night and it worked out great. I had some small index cards and they work out great in the pockets too. Thanks again.

Alicia B

November 28, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Alicia,
    I’m so glad it worked! Enjoy! =)

November 28, 2009 at 5:31 pm
  • Reply Michelle, Muffin Tin Mom

I LOVE this! I’ll be linking tomorrow and hopefully doing these activities right along with you!

November 29, 2009 at 1:05 am
  • Reply sharla@mylittlegems

I love this! Can I link and post a photo? Let me know! Thanks!

November 29, 2009 at 5:08 pm
  • Reply Adriana

I linked to your post from my post today. ๐Ÿ™‚

November 29, 2009 at 9:12 pm
  • Reply The girl who painted trees

Thanks for joining the MckLinky at http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/2009/11/advent.html

I love your cards. Wish my darn printer weren’t broken. Can you guess what is on my Christmas list? LOL.

November 30, 2009 at 12:19 am
  • Reply Jessica Morris

cute idea! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I have done something similar. I made a list of the activities I want to do this month and have a basket under the Christmas tree holding most of the supplies (and I’ll add to it as I pick up more supplies.)
    Instead of assigning a specific thing per day I pick an item or two to do with the boys each day.

I just blogged about it earlier today.

November 30, 2009 at 1:07 am
  • Reply The Mumpowers

Such a great idea! I’ll have to print some stuff out to remember them for next year (or whenever my daughter is old enough for certain activities). This is a great idea that can be adapted for any age, though. Thanks for the inspiration!

November 30, 2009 at 1:55 pm
  • Reply Michelle

I love all the ideas…thank you for sharing!

November 30, 2009 at 5:58 pm
  • Reply Lil' Ms. P

Love it. You just made my life a whole lot easier! Thanks.

November 30, 2009 at 6:42 pm
  • Reply ABC and 123: A Learning Cooperative

Wow you have really changed things up on here! I like your new blog template. Saw your comment over at Our Cozy Little Book Corner and came over to check out your advent calendar. We’re going to add this to tomorrow’s post on advent calendars, part 2.

Katie, Katie’s Nesting Spot

December 1, 2009 at 12:10 am
  • Reply H-Mama

my first time to your blog. you are one crafty mama! love it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

December 3, 2009 at 9:10 pm
  • Reply Melissa: Mother to 3 Little Sprouts

Super cute! I used some of your card ideas for my recycled Advent calendar!

December 4, 2009 at 2:50 am
  • Reply phasejumper

Saw your advent calendar and thought I could use teacher pocket charts I saw at Target around August. (I’m not a sewer…those machines tend to break when I just LOOK at them!) Am excited about clicking around on some of your other posts. (The Christmas tree sizing craft, especially!)

December 10, 2009 at 10:14 pm
  • Reply phasejumper

Yikes, I meant I’m not a seamstress. Apparently sew er in the way I meant it isn’t a real word. Embarrassing.

December 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm
  • Reply me and the boys

Thanks for sharing all your ideas for the advent calendar. My boys and I are enjoying doing the activities each night.

December 12, 2009 at 3:19 am
  • Reply Amanda

Thanks so much for posting this! My dd will love these! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

December 14, 2009 at 8:14 pm
  • Reply An Almost Unschooling Mom

Wow! I wish I’d seen this sooner, it would have saved me a ton of time – but I’m printing it out for next year. Maybe if I pack it with the Christmas decorations, I’ll be able to find it, when the time comes ๐Ÿ™‚

December 16, 2009 at 4:05 am
  • Reply Natasha

I can’t WAIT to do this…..thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!! This is beyond perfect…not sure who’ll be more excited, me or the kids??? ๐Ÿ˜‰

November 14, 2010 at 7:38 pm
  • Reply Rachelle

I love this. Love it. Lots of simple activities that work on basic skills and are fun.

November 28, 2010 at 3:09 pm