2009 ACTIVITY Advent Calendar (Printable)

There are so many different, awesome types of advent calendars out there. I was having a hard time deciding on one and then it occured to me that one Christmas activity a day would be fun for us.

Activity Advent Calendar

I made and printed the activity cards (below), sewed 25 felt pockets (pictured above, directions below in the comments section), and used foam stickers for the numbers.
My goal with this advent calendar was for it to be EXCITING and MEMORABLE for B, but also EASY and SIMPLE for me to put together and adjust if needed.

2009 Activity Advent Calendar List

1) Make a Bow Wreath (Stick bows on a paper plate)
2) Santa Dice Game
3) Make a Candy Cane Ornament (Kit)
4) Christmas Tree Sizing Cut and Paste
5) Candy Cane Reindeer (candy cane, pipe cleaner, eyes)
6) Christmas Light ABC Activity
7) Santa Scissors Practice
8) Letter to Santa
9) Christmas Cookie Ornaments
10) Paint Christmas Tree Picture and Glue Paper Circles (ornaments)
11) Roll and Color Reindeer
12) Christmas Bulb Patterns
13) Make Paper Snowflakes (out of cupcake liners)
14) Make and Decorate Cookies
15) Santa’s Cotton Ball Beard
16) Christmas Elf Color by Number
17) Rip and glue Paper Plate Wreath
18) Snowman Shapes Craft
19) Santa – Trace and Color
20) Make Jingle Bell Bracelet or Necklace
21) Take Picture with Santa
22) Wrap presents
23) Reindeer Paper Plate Craft
24) Decorate Cookies for Santa
25) Christmas

Plan B (in case something doesn’t go as planned like picture with Santa or wrapping presents):

*** Updated Links Aug. 2010***

Want to join the fun?

Print out the activity cards (below).
Click on the links above to print activities.
Gather other needed supplies.

Christmas Countdown

Don’t want to sew pockets?
Hang the cards from your tree.
Wrap the cards and tape them on a door.
Put the cards in envelopes in a special box.

Comments

1. says

DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING THE POCKETS/CALENDAR

*Cut one piece of felt 20in (w) X 26 in. (h).
    *Cut 5 strips measuring 4in X 20 in.
    *Spread the strips out evenly with about one inch in between each strip and about 2 inches left at the top.
    *Pin your strips to the larger piece of felt.
    *Sew around the border of the calendar.
    *Sew across the bottom of each strip.
    *Sew a line going up every 4 in. to make the pockets. (To speed up the process, I just sewed up the whole calendar in one continuous line, like a grid, instead of stopping at the top of each pocket.)
    *Each pocket will measure approximately 4in. X 4 in.
    *Sew the top into a loop to slide in a dowel or use the extra fabric to clip or pin somewhere. (I didnโ€™t leave enough fabric at the top so I am going to pin the calendar somewhere.)

My sewing skills are about a 2 on a scale of 1-10 (10 being Martha). My lines arenโ€™t straight but you canโ€™t really tell with the felt.

I didnโ€™t take any pictures while I was doing it, so if you need more clarification or have any questions as you go, just let me know! =)

2. says

Those are directions I can follow. ๐Ÿ™‚ I just needed the size and general idea. I am about a two on sewing also but I think it will be an easy enough project and really something I have been looking for. Thanks for posting the idea and the directions. I am enjoying your blog.

Alicia B

3. Michelle, Muffin Tin Mom says

I LOVE this! I’ll be linking tomorrow and hopefully doing these activities right along with you!

4. says

cute idea! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I have done something similar. I made a list of the activities I want to do this month and have a basket under the Christmas tree holding most of the supplies (and I’ll add to it as I pick up more supplies.)
    Instead of assigning a specific thing per day I pick an item or two to do with the boys each day.

I just blogged about it earlier today.

5. says

Such a great idea! I’ll have to print some stuff out to remember them for next year (or whenever my daughter is old enough for certain activities). This is a great idea that can be adapted for any age, though. Thanks for the inspiration!

6. says

Wow you have really changed things up on here! I like your new blog template. Saw your comment over at Our Cozy Little Book Corner and came over to check out your advent calendar. We’re going to add this to tomorrow’s post on advent calendars, part 2.

Katie, Katie’s Nesting Spot

7. says

Saw your advent calendar and thought I could use teacher pocket charts I saw at Target around August. (I’m not a sewer…those machines tend to break when I just LOOK at them!) Am excited about clicking around on some of your other posts. (The Christmas tree sizing craft, especially!)

8. says

Wow! I wish I’d seen this sooner, it would have saved me a ton of time – but I’m printing it out for next year. Maybe if I pack it with the Christmas decorations, I’ll be able to find it, when the time comes ๐Ÿ™‚

9. says

I can’t WAIT to do this…..thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!! This is beyond perfect…not sure who’ll be more excited, me or the kids??? ๐Ÿ˜‰