Bathtub Ice Cubes

We already use these shaped ice cube trays for making crayons, transferring ice cubes with kitchen utensils, and for Muffin Tin Monday, and now bathtub ice cubes.
bathtub ice cubes
Just add food coloring (NOT TOO MUCH), freeze them, and you are ready to go.

B had a great time “seeing what would happen”. He was catching them with a net and all he could talk about for the rest of the night was how they melted and that we should try it again tomorrow.

This is the PERFECT way to experiment with mixing colors because the bath water changes all around them.

• Reply Multi-tasking Mommy

That’s a very cute idea.
    I plan on doing your crayon idea soon, just waiting to collect a few more.
    Do you think you could bake in silicone after you have made crayons in them?
    I don’t think the food colouring would stain your skin in that small of an amount, only if applied directly onto your skin, I know that first hand!

January 29, 2010 at 2:43 pm
  • Reply Angela

This is such a great idea. You should link up with my Kid Friendly Friday post at http://confessionsofanondomestichousewife.blogspot.com/search/label/Kid%20Friendly%20Friday

January 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm
  • Reply Leptir

Great ideas 🙂 Can I make crayons in ice mold or I must bake in muffin tin?

January 29, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Yes, you can make the crayons in the silicone ice molds (I just made heart ones for Valentines Day). However, from my experience, once you use them for making crayons the wax doesn’t really come out. So you won’t be able to bake in them afterwards. Good luck! =)

January 29, 2010 at 5:34 pm
  • Reply April

I was just thinking of making red ice cubes and then melting them in a glass of hot water for my daughter to watch. Great idea to use them in the bathtub. But I’m not sure how I would stop her from putting them in her mouth though…and I wouldn’t want her to do that! I would be worried about the food coloring maybe staining the bathtub, especially with red! I was thinking of mixing food coloring with liquid soap so that she could have bath paints but I’m not sure about the staining.

January 29, 2010 at 6:24 pm

JDaniel would love this. Have a great weekend!

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm
  • Reply Vone

Neat idea but my girls love to eat ice cubes and I already lose a battle over having them drink bath water. But I do like the idea, maybe in the sink.

January 29, 2010 at 9:04 pm
  • Reply Mama to 3 Blessings

What a great idea! I just bought some heart shaped ones @ Target for $2.50. Does the food coloring leave your bathtub yucky?

January 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm

It didn’t leave anything behind in the bathtub, although we didn’t leave the colored water in too long. Make sure to mix the water and food coloring first and then pour it into the ice cube mold. Use just a drop or two instead of a drop in each ice cube. That was WAY too much. =)

January 29, 2010 at 9:21 pm
  • Reply Jo Shabo

What a fun idea! My girls would LOVE it!

January 29, 2010 at 9:24 pm
  • Reply kewkew

This looks like such fun! Thanks for the idea.

January 30, 2010 at 3:21 am
  • Reply April

Just wanted to let you know that I linked to this post on my blog:

February 4, 2010 at 12:01 am
  • Reply Heather

This is a cute idea! 🙂
    We just did an ice cube, colour mixing activity this week but not in the bath 🙂
    I’ll be posting about it this Wednesday.

February 25, 2010 at 9:28 pm
  • Reply Angela

HAHA I just looked over this one again and can’t stop giggling at the thought of a blue baby.

February 25, 2010 at 11:27 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

does anyone know if this stains the skin??? I made some today and want to try it out, but am scared it will stain her skin. let me know, thanks!

February 17, 2012 at 12:04 am

Hi Anonymous
    Mix the water with one or two drops first and then put it into the ice cube mold (I put one drop in each ice cube and it was too much). It didn’t stain the skin or the tub when we did it, but we didn’t stay in too long either.

February 17, 2012 at 3:32 am