Buttons, Buttons, Buttons!

buttons
Find a bag of shaped buttons at your local craft store and turn that one bag into unlimited fun with 15+ learning activities!
Sorting Buttons

Sort the buttons by shape.
Sort the buttons by color.

We used plastic lids as a sorting tool.
button counting

Counting Buttons

I used a this tray from the dollar store, but a muffin tin also works well for counting buttons.
button puzzle

DIY Button Puzzle

Trace buttons on a piece of paper and challenge your child to match them up.

Trace a Letter

Draw a letter and challenge your child to trace it with the buttons.

button patterns

Patterning with Buttons

Start patterns and have your child finish each pattern.

button matching

Button Matching

Put a pile of several pairs of buttons in front of your child and challenge him to find the matches.

Fill a 10 Frame

Make a grid and roll the die to fill it up with buttons.
button toothpicks

Stack Buttons onto Toothpicks

Stick toothpicks into styrofoam. Stack the buttons onto the toothpicks.

One Button in Each Section

Great one to one correspondance practice

I-Spy Buttons

I spy a pink star. I spy a blue square.

Tracing Foam Letters

These foam letters are a bath tub toy, but balancing buttons on top was fun!

Which one has more?

Lacing Buttons on Pipe Cleaners

Make a bracelet or sort and lace a certain shaped button.

Button Balancing

Balance buttons on a craft stick (It is trickier than you might think and toddlers love the challenge.)

Comments

1. says

you always have such great ideas! About what age do you think kids could handle most of the activities you have posted? My son will be 18 months this summer when I take him out of daycare and I would love to try some of your activities with him!

2. says

My daughter always uses buttons – real ones at my moms – for sorting & playing store.

For some reason my mom has a giant bucket of buttons and my grandma had them too. And oddly, I have a box with the start of a button collection.

We are weird.

3. says

Well worth the money spent. You came up with so many fantastic ideas. I recently saw the exact same bag of buttons here in Australia in our local craft store. I am popping out this afternoon to the shops and I will be buying the bag of buttons. Thank you for sharing your fantastic ideas.

It’s great when you find an inexpensive resource like this and can come up with so many activities. I recently did a blog post about the activities I have made for my little boy using cheap gift wrap. If you are interested the link to this post is:

4. Anonymous says

What section where they in? I tried looking in the button section of micheals and I couldn’t find them.

5. says

Holy Moses! They don’t call you Activity Mom for nothin’!! We have these same exact buttons and I’m thrilled to have this post as a reference for the many, many ways to use them!! Thanks!

6. says

Wowzer, you were really on an idea kick. That is certainly worth the money!! I happen to have those lacing buttons and hadn’t thought of half of the ideas… The toothpick one never would have come to me.
    Thanks so much!!

7. says

I found those buttons at my mom’s in her craft drawer when Bear was 13 months. We’ve used them for so many things. Actually, aside from tracing letters with them, we’ve used them for all the things you posted about. It’s great you’ve put it all in one post, because I’ll need to refresh my memory in about 8 months when J-jo is ready for some tot school stuff:)

8. says

On “Mama Jenn’s” blog, she uses the buttons by color to make a rainbow, sorting them by red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet..very pretty. I am not sure how old your little ones are, but you can also use the buttons to make patterns….simple AB patterns or make them more complex: ABB, AAB, or even ABC and repeat. I read somewhere that you were a teacher, so you will know exactly what I mean. You can use them to create objects/pictures. A triangle button on top of a square button make a “house” or a few circle buttons under a rectangle buttons might make a “truck” or a “car”. Loved all your creative ideas!!

9. says

Me again…Oops, sorry…I mentioned patterns when you said that already!! How about using the buttons as manipulatives to make addition sentences? “2 green buttons plus 2 red buttons equals 4 buttons all together” Again, I don’t know the age of your children, but you might be able to adapt it.

10. Anonymous says

Great ideas! You could also use playdough for activities? Make impressions on the playdough or hide a couple of shapes in the dough and the little ones have to find the shapes, thereby building fine motor skills.

You could also place shapes in a brown paper bag, place a couple of shapes on the table and ask the little ones to find shapes that are the same as those on the table.

Buttons are FUN! Isabel (Play 2 Learn)

11. Anonymous says

My kids like to treasure hunt for them in the sand box. We hide them and they dig them up as “treasure” Great ideas, thanks! 🙂

12. says

Great list. You could also play tic-tac-toe or jacks with them (although you’d need a rubber ball as well for jacks). With larger buttons, it could be fun to use them to trace outlines on paper. You could also try to make pictures by arranging the buttons.

And of course, there’s the classic button twirler: put a piece of thread through two holes in a round button. Tie the ends of the thread together so that you have a loop that passes through the holes in the button. Holding the loop on each side and allowing the button to hang in the center, swing the button around to twist the thread. Then, when the thread is well twisted, pull the loop on both sides to watch it untwist and the patterns it makes in the process.

You can see an example of the last one at the bottom of this page: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/andal72.html

13. Anonymous says

You could put one in a paper bag and lay out “choices” then give the child clues so they can figure out which shape it is (I have 4 sides etc).

14. says

This is a fantastic idea and I love the way that all the comments have extended on the activities. I have been thinking about buying some buttons for ages but they are so expensive may have a look on e bay for a batch. What annoys me more is that as a kid we used to play with a massive box of buttons but they were thrown out! Off I go to buy buttons you have inspired me.