Candle Shapes (printable)

Make Candle Shapes with this free, printable!
candle shapes
If you haven’t noticed, I’m on a roll lately with activities using materials I already have around the house. This “Build-a-Shape” activity using birthday candles was a lot of fun.  I only had enough candles for B to build one shape at a time, but it still worked out well.
Here is the Candle Build-a-Shape mat to download or print.
I’ve also seen something similar using popsicle sticks or craft sticks. If you have those on hand, build the shapes on a piece of paper and then trace them to create the mat. Give your child the mat and sticks to build the shapes.

• Reply Elise

Gotta love activities where you already have the materials on hand and ready to go. Thank you for sharing this.

August 9, 2010 at 12:15 pm
  • Reply Jennifer @ The Toy Box Years

What a GREAT idea!! Love this!! Thanks for sharing!

Have a great week!

August 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm
  • Reply Terra

Wow! I’ve never thought about using candles to build shapes. I have a huge pack in my drawer! Thanks for the idea.

August 9, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Very clever and can be used by my older girls to build more challenging shapes- hexagons, trapezoids, etc. I just posted on shape books yesterday.

Jen
    Creative and Curious Kids!

August 9, 2010 at 4:09 pm
  • Reply Jen @ lil Mop Top

Love it! and you can even keep count of how many candles you need for each shape. 🙂

August 9, 2010 at 11:57 pm
  • Reply Jackie H.

Again… another idea I love!!! Keep ’em coming!

August 13, 2010 at 11:25 am
  • Reply www.DothanAcresHomeschool.blogspot.com

Great idea! Thanks so much for all you sharing. I’ve been following you for a while now, and using activities with my 2yo son, Little Mister. Finally I’ve started to blog too (its taken a while for me to get it happening!) and I would love for you to stop by and see what we’re up to. I’ve linked to some of your Shapes activities in my latest blog post as this is what we’re concentrating on at the moment.

January 11, 2012 at 4:26 am
  • Reply dressage66

Love this idea. I have made a counting game with paper birthday cakes and numbers. They like putting that many candles on the cake. I once had a student ask me, “Does anyone really get old enough to put 10 candles on a cake? That is a lot!”

July 31, 2013 at 3:40 pm
  • Reply nicole

I’m trying to print your candle build-a-shape mat but it’s saying that it’s not found 🙁 would you mind emailing the pdf to me?

January 27, 2014 at 7:12 pm