Garage Sale Books – What to Look For

garage sale books
I have an obsession with garage sale books! At 25 cents a book, you can’t go wrong! I wish I would have stocked up on books that B would enjoy as his tastes changed and as he got older, but I really wasn’t sure what to look for. So here’s a list of books I wish I would have stocked up on:
  • Mercer Meyer’s Little Critter Books (“Just Me and My ___”)
  • Laura Numeroff books (If You Give a Mouse a Cookie)
  • Holiday books
  • Dr. Seuss books
  • ANY Counting books
  • ANY ABC books
  • Easy Readers (step 1 or step 2)
  • Activity books and dry erase activity books
  • Highlights or High Five Magazines
  • Books about dinosaurs, princesses, sports, birthdays, going to the dentist or doctor or school, making friends, and having manners.

Fiction Collections:

• Paul Goble
  • Richard Scarry
  • Doreen Cronin

Nonfiction Collections:
Eyewitness Books

Other Collections:

• Inexpensive books to cut up and use for framed artwork and collages.
  • Inexpensive books that have a story you aren’t in love with that you can cut up and make puppets with.

Hopefully this list will come in handy as you come across great deals and garage sales!
Happy Shopping!

• Reply The girl who painted trees

Since you have a question mark – yes Julie (aka) the girlwhopaintedtrees at http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com

Thanks for this comprehensive list!

August 1, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Oh I love the idea of cheap books to cut up for projects and puppets. Great idea!

Jen

August 1, 2010 at 1:35 pm
  • Reply cooperl788

I love this list; I’m going to print it out to keep for when we go garage-saling. I would also look for classic chapter books – books by Beverly Cleary, books like Stuart Little, Charlotte’s Web, The Wind in the Willows – books that every kid should read as they get older.

August 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm
  • Reply Kylie

Great list, thanks for compiling. 🙂

August 1, 2010 at 8:58 pm
  • Reply Jackie H.

Great list. I’m thinking I should start looking for easy readers now, even though L is still really young. Then maybe I’ll have a good collection by the time he is ready. I always just focus on his current area of interest/level of reading!

August 2, 2010 at 1:02 am

These are exactly the books I saw going throug the checkout line at a consignment sale I worked over the weekend.

August 2, 2010 at 10:19 am
  • Reply Erin @ Letter Soup

These are all great ideas. Thanks for putting it together and sharing! And thanks for the mention! 🙂

September 16, 2010 at 5:41 pm
  • Reply Together Time 4 Families

Thanks for the list and including my favorite series from http://www.togethertime4families.com These lists are good references. I copy the titles and bring the list with me to the library. Helps me at browsing time!
    Great post!
    Susan

November 8, 2010 at 10:08 pm
  • Reply Carolyn

Thank you for putting this together! Very helpful! I linked to you here http://www.apurposedrivenhome.com/?p=478 🙂

March 10, 2011 at 4:46 pm
  • Reply Cristy

I love your list. I would only add that we always look for any books by Doreen Cronin, and we love the Littles Series chapter books for a little older children.

April 6, 2011 at 12:07 pm