Coloring Rice

I’ve seen tutorials on how to color rice and pasta in the past, but I’ve never tried it because it seemed like a lot of work. After reading the directions at Sippy Cup Central I gave it a try. It was SO easy and it turned out great!
coloring rice
Materials: rice, ziplock bags, food coloring, rubbing alcohol, newspaper and plastic grocery bags
1) Put the plastic bags down to protect your counter and the newspapers on top of them to soak up the rubbing alcohol as the rice dries.
coloring rice

2) Put rice, a splash of rubbing alcohol, and a few drops of food coloring in a ziplock. I’m not sure on the exact measurements, but you can’t go wrong because the alcohol evaporates off of the rice as it dries.

coloring rice
3) Mix everything around in the bag and let them sit for awhile. From my experience, the longer you let the rice soak in the bag, the darker the color gets.
coloring rice
4) Dump the rice onto the newspaper and spread it out to dry. (In the picture above I did it wrong and had it on plastic bags and it wouldn’t dry without the newspapers soaking it up.)
coloring rice
5) After the rice is dry have fun scooping, pouring, and experimenting with funnels and different types of containers.
The official measurements for dying 1 pound of rice (Thanks Bonna!):
1 lb. of rice

1/2 tsp. of food coloring,
1 tsp of rubbing alcohol

• Reply Christy

My kids are always happy to play with dyed rice. It’s amazing how much they enjoy it.

October 20, 2010 at 12:07 pm
  • Reply Bonna

The measurements for dying 1 pound of rice:

1 lb. of rice
    1/2 tsp. of food coloring
    1 tsp of rubbing alcohol

Put the alcohol and food coloring in a bag together and add rice. Mix until all the color is absorbed. I have found that dumping the rice out on cookie sheets works really well. If it is a hot sun outside I put them outside to dry. Newspaper would work just as well. 🙂

I love the money this saves me! My daycare children love this.

October 20, 2010 at 12:48 pm
  • Reply Sam and Boo Book Reviews

For some reason, this concept is completely new to me. Looks fun. We’ll have to try it.

October 20, 2010 at 1:18 pm
  • Reply Lori

This looks so simple and fun too. You always have great things to share. 🙂

October 20, 2010 at 2:26 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

Water Colors (like coloration from Discount School Supplies) works wonders also! Plus there is little to no drying time!
    Thanks for reminding me of how fun colored rice can be!
    Tracy

October 20, 2010 at 6:12 pm
  • Reply Sippy Cup Central Mom

I am so glad you tried it…thanks for the link love. Karen
    Sippy Cup Central Mom

October 20, 2010 at 6:42 pm
  • Reply Jessika

I like to dye rice for the children I teach. Another way I do it is use small containers which the children can then shake to colour the rice. I then put it on plastic trays and leave in the sun to dry =) I have used newspaper but found the rice got stuck to it – did you have this issue?

October 20, 2010 at 7:20 pm
  • Reply Elle Belles Bows

Thanks for sharing! I have been meaning to do some colored rice for Elle’s sensory tub! Kerri

October 21, 2010 at 1:21 am
  • Reply Time For Play

FYI…you don’t have to add the alcohol. The colors will mix just fine with the rice and you don’t have that yucky smell. I have always made it with alcohol as well until I watched this video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvLFr93tNqg

November 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm