G is 19 months old and this may be my very favorite age!
He LOVES sitting down to “do work” together so we spent the month exploring lots of new learning activities. I found these to be super fun for a tiny tot!
1. Peg Board: We have THIS peg board and chunky pegs and I highly recommend it! Not only is it great for fine motor skills, it provided us with a ton of opportunities to talk about colors.
2. Magnets: I throw all of our magnets into a giant Ziploc and pull it out occasionally. He likes to sit in front of the washer and dryer (ours is located centrally in our kitchen) and play. We have some of THESE and some of THESE.
3. Whack-a-Mole: This silly game has brought hours of entertainment lately! While he improves his hand-eye coordination, we get a kick out of watching him squeal and play!
4. Puzzles: G can NOT get enough of puzzles this month! Our favorites are those from Melissa and Doug; such high quality and durable products!
5. First Word Cards: We have a set of THESE and they are AWESOME for language development, a BIG milestone this month. These are touch-and-feel so not only does he get sound practice, he gets a sensory experience, too.
6. Jenga: Bust out the Jenga game and let your tot build! He LOVES making towers (and then, of course, knocking them over!).
7. Drawing: G absolutely loves when I get out big chart paper and trace his hands, feet, or even whole body. It’s a great chance to build vocabulary and he gets to do large motion scribbles.
8. Pattern Kit: So, even though we aren’t technically “patterning” yet, he does a great job of threading the beads on the sticks. Plus, it’s another opportunity to build in vocabulary as you talk about colors and shapes! THIS is what we have and it’s as awesome for the toddler as it is for my kindergartner!
9. Sensory tubs: This is, by far, his favorite learning activity. This month, I used rice and tiny Thanksgiving objects. The rice DOES make a mess (even if I sit him on a towel) but it vacuums up easily, whereas pinto beans are a little trickier!
Whew! What a fun month with my tot! What activities do your little ones love?