Your child will enjoy this simple boat craft and will have fun floating and racing them in the bathtub or pool!
Supplies for this boat craft:
- wine corks
- craft foam
- craft glue or hot glue gun
Line up 3 wine corks and glue them together. If you don’t have wine corks on hand, you can order craft corks HERE.
You can use white glue and wait for it to dry or a hot glue gun for immediate results.
Tape the corks together for added decoration and stability.
Cut a rectangle out of craft foam. Poke the tooth pick through the bottom and then through the top as shown.
Stick the bottom of the toothpick into the middle cork.
Cut a triangle out of craft foam and glue it onto the top of the toothpick.
Test out your boat. Does it float? If it is tipping, adjust your sail and try again.
Test It Out
- What happens when you make your sail smaller or shorter?
- Have a race by blowing your boat with a straw. Where should you blow the air for best results?
- What happens if you move the toothpick and sail to the first or last cork?
- Would your boat still float if you only used 2 corks?
- What other material could you make your sail out of?
Check out or ideas for Woodworking with Kids