Outline Mat

I read about this Outline Mat idea on FUNdamentals. I traced random objects that I found in the playroom and then had B put the objects in the outline like a puzzle.
outline mat

outline mat

B had such a great time! He was working on it over and over again so I made another one. Then, I traced a few coins. He was less interested in that one.

outline mat

I really appreciate how fast this activity was to throw together. Next time, I’ll have B hunt for the objects and then trace them. You can laminate these mats or just do them on paper like I did so they can be recycled and a new one made.

• Reply vanessa

I like it–easy and quick. I also like how you share what DIDN’T work as well–now I know not to try the coin one!

October 8, 2009 at 3:53 am
  • Reply Our Little Family

Ohhhh, this is one of Maddie’s favorites!! It’s now one of her activity bags for when we go out and anticipate a wait. I also traced her magnetic numbers (1-9) and some letters for her to work on, too.

Thinking of you!

October 8, 2009 at 4:22 am
  • Reply The girl who painted trees

We did something similar a while ago. You can see it here: http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/2009/04/matching-objects-to-outlines.html

October 8, 2009 at 8:17 pm
  • Reply Crystal

I was just making my christmas/birthday lists and need some advice. Son #1 will be 3 and son #2 will be 16months at Christmas. I want to mostly get them learning toys or books. I would LOVE, LOve, LoVe you to do a post or just email what you think some of the “must-have” gifts would be. Thanks
    crystalboom at hotmail dot com

October 8, 2009 at 8:44 pm
  • Reply Swapna Raghu Sanand

It seems like an interesting, easy to do activity. Thanks for sharing.

October 9, 2009 at 4:54 am
  • Reply Elise

I thought I had left a comment for this great idea, evidently not. I think my little girl would love this activity and I love that you could make it theme based, nature based and that it is versatile. Thank you for sharing and I am keen to try this out – we will link back to your inspiring blog when we do this activity.

October 9, 2009 at 6:58 am
  • Reply Becky @ Our Sweet Peas

Love this also. As you can probably tell I am just now catching up on my blog reading.

October 14, 2009 at 12:19 pm
  • Reply Becky @ Our Sweet Peas

Weird. Someone elses pic is showing up when I post.

October 14, 2009 at 12:20 pm