How to Make the Pizza:
- A cardboard circle from a frozen pizza
- Glue gun
- Colored Construction paper
- Count the pizzas slices- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Add slices- 1 + 1 = 2
- Beginning subtraction- Mommy ate one piece of pizza, how many are left?
- Pretend play- pizza shop
- P is for pizza!
- Beginning fractions- show 1/2, 1/4, etc.
- Equivalent fractions- 1/2 is the same as 2/4 of the pizza or 4/8 of the pizza.
- Adding fractions- 1/2 + 1/2 = 2/2 or 1 whole pizza or 1/8 + 1/8 = 2/8 (show using manipulative)
- Roll a fraction- (put fractions on a cube) and race for the most slices of pizza
- Story problems- Sally ate 2/8 of the pizza and Bill ate 1/4- How much is left? Kids can have fun creating their own problems as well!
- Play pizza shop- Set up a small store, sell slices, make change.
After playing pizza math, reward your math whiz with a slice of real PIZZA!
Written by Jen