Christianity and Children

Christianity and Children
Are you raising your kiddos with a specific faith or religion?  We are raising M and G in a Christian home and it’s important to us that it’s not something we only learn about on Sundays at church.

Here are some ways we implement learning and just all around faith-based activities!

Bible Characters
Christianity and Children

After a Google search, I printed off the men and women we learn about in the Bible.  After laminating them, I stuck a magnet on the back and introduced them to M.  I let her play but also led it into putting them in order, sorting by men and women, and talking about the ones we know best.

Christianity and Children

Now when we read, or learn about Bible stories, we are able to grab our Bible characters and put a face to a name!

Homeless Bags

Christianity and Children

One of the most meaningful things M and I have ever done together is create homeless bags.  We stuffed large Ziploc bags with gloves, water bottles, granola bars, fruit cups, and cards that M made.  We keep them in the front seat of my car and whenever we see someone in need, we roll the window down and hand them a bag.  It’s a great way to show God’s love!

Printables

Christianity and Children

Making Learning Fun has some REALLY neat Christian-based printables that M and I love using (and once G gets older, we can re-use!).  I usually laminate our materials, since it makes them so durable (and you can use erasable markers on them, which is always fun!).

Learning through Crafting

Christianity and Children

After reading a specific Bible story, we definitely try to apply it some way.  M’s favorite way is through crafts!
After reading about Noah’s Ark, we grabbed an empty shoebox and made our own ark, stuffing it with two of each toy animal we could find.

Christianity and Children

When we learned about rainbows and God’s promise to His people, I cut arcs out of some of M’s watercolor creations.  She glued them in size order to make her own rainbow!

Written by Jill

I love that you are teaching your children to give to others.

August 28, 2012 at 12:39 pm
  • Reply Julie K.

Oh wow love those Bible people…did you find them in one place or have to search all over. I would love to do this for my son if you have any specific sites to share

August 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm

We are contacting the author of the Bible People to ask permission to share the resource (we can’t find the link that we used years ago). We will let you know as soon as we hear back.

August 28, 2012 at 5:34 pm
  • Reply jess_hak

I’m with Julie. Those Bible people are fantastic….would LOVE to have the sites for them! 🙂

August 28, 2012 at 3:06 pm

August 28, 2012 at 5:34 pm
  • Reply Rachael Davis

I’m commenting to see the response from the Bible People! I want them, too. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

August 28, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Great ideas, Jill. I like the idea for the homeless bags.. we often pass homeless people when we are traveling in the city..my daughters always want to help them.

August 28, 2012 at 8:00 pm
  • Reply thesleepyknitter

I love the Bible People! What a great idea. And also the homeless bags — our community is unusual in that we do not have many homeless, but I will keep that idea in mind for when we are in a nearby community that does. Your bags sound very practical.

August 29, 2012 at 1:07 am
  • Reply Jackie H.

I love your homeless bag idea. Every time we go downtown we get hit up by a lot of homeless people and it’s hard to know how to best help them, whether the kids are with us or not. I think this is a great idea plus the kids can be involved! Love it.
    I’ll check back to see if you get the link for those Bible people, they are amazing.

August 29, 2012 at 11:33 am
  • Reply Brandi

I LOVE the bible people and homeless bags idea! I am thinking the homeless bags will also be a great way to counter the “receiving” that comes with the upcoming holidays. My son get very much in to all the gifts he will get and I am trying to move his focus to giving. Great idea!

I don’t comment often, but I love all of your posts and ideas! Thanks for all you do!

August 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm
  • Reply Bella's Mum and Papa

I knew there must be some issue with the Bible People, or you would post the link! But I would love to make those too!

August 30, 2012 at 3:22 am
  • Reply kewkew

Wow, I love these ideas. The homeless bag idea is great. And I will have to be checking back for more info on those Bible people too.
    Thanks also for sharing the link to the printables.
    It has been a long time since I visited your blog. I have some catching up to do.

August 30, 2012 at 8:27 am
  • Reply Anonymous

Omg I must have the link for the bible characters! Everything is beautiful!

August 30, 2012 at 3:27 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

Who is the author of the bible people? Maybe we can call them. Thanks for the information!

August 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm
  • Reply Lee Family

Love your homeless bag idea/activity. We often hand them a bottle of water, or a granola bar if we have any in the car. This would be a great thing to have…love your bible people, too.

August 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm

HI Everyone!
    Just an update on the Bible people….
    The author of the people said they are now included in a church curriculum and she is unable to share them due to copyright issues.

So Jill and I are working on putting together a free printable of something similar. We will post it soon in a new blog post.

Thanks!

September 3, 2012 at 9:44 pm
  • Reply Jamie

I’m with everyone else on the Bible people! I would love to know a resource when you get it!

Thanks so much!
    Jamie

September 4, 2012 at 7:55 pm
  • Reply Suzanne C Hansen

I found a couple of sites as I was searching that I thought I would share. . . the links are to the index pages, but they have the figures you can download, print, and laminate. Both sites request if you share the images that you link to their site not just share the image.

These paper dolls we have used for bible characters, though they are labeled as otherwise:

September 7, 2012 at 1:24 am
  • Reply rebekah meredith

What is the name of the curriculum company? I wouldn’t mind buying them, they are beautiful!

March 5, 2013 at 11:16 pm
  • Reply Ginger

Did you end up coming up with a free printable for the Bible people? I can’t find anything on your site. Thanks.

March 15, 2013 at 4:46 am
  • Reply * eva *

Hi,

Please could you share the name of the curriculum company? I would like to buy the bible characters from them.

Thanks,
    Eva

July 2, 2013 at 7:12 am
  • Reply Sharnee Torrents

WOW oh WOW I’m soooooo super excited!!! Love that you have made these pictures available, read through all the comments and there they were, months later!!! YIPPEE!!!
    Thanks heaps lovely Jill!!! WIll have the best time with these and my treasures!!! 🙂
    Smiles SHarnee 🙂

January 27, 2014 at 3:17 am
  • Reply Lyn B

I just found your website a few days ago. I am very thankful to all the work you have done. I teach singing with 3-12 year olds at church and I have a 2 YO grandson. I am using your resources and have passed them on to friends and family. Thank you again for your wonderful resource…Lyn B

March 15, 2014 at 4:38 pm
  • Reply tammy matheny

I teacher two year olds great for them to understand bible stories.thank you

October 15, 2015 at 12:04 am