One of our favorite books to read around the Thanksgiving season is Five Silly Turkeys by Salina Yoon. Besides teaching beginning math skills, the illustrations and story-line are simply adorable.
Turkey Printable Ideas
1. Count the turkeys.
2. Try a few math problems- How many ways can you make 5? 2+3, 4+1, etc.
2. Put the numbers 1-5 in order. Count the corresponding number of turkeys for each number.
3. Put numbers in a hat.. pull out a number. Count that many turkeys.
4. Hide the turkeys and have a turkey hunt!
5. Create a new silly story using the turkeys.
Download the 5 Silly Turkeys Printable
Print out extra turkeys and use with the story.. Ten Fat Turkeys by Tony Johnston
Have a book discussion with your child.
Compare both stories. How are they the same? How are they different?
Which story did your child like better and why?
Written by Jen