Christmas Craft: Construction Paper Wreaths
This Christmas wreath craft is easy and fun, and it will also keep hands busy for a while. We’ll be able to show kids how wreaths are circles, and how circles are very important to our faith, especially at Christmas time.
• Green construction paper, 1 sheet for each child
• Red construction paper
• Hole punch
• Glitter (optional)
1. Fold all sheets of green paper in half lengthwise.
2. On the opposite side of the fold, draw a line across horizontally using a pencil that is one inch away from the edge.
3. Make a bow stencil.
1. Cut straight lines about a half inch apart, starting at the fold and moving toward the pencil line. Cut right up to the pencil line.
2. Open the paper, and you will see all the lines cut from side to side, ending an inch from either end.
3. Fold the paper around into a tube, laying the one-inch of each uncut end on top of each other
4. Staple the ends in place. You will have created a tube.
5. Bend the top around so it makes a ring.
6. Add red holly berries from hole punches by dabbing a bit of stick glue on each and sticking it to the wreath.
7. Cut out the bow. Write on it PEACE ON EARTH.
Wreaths are symbolic circles. Circles have always been important in Christianity. They present the passing of our faith from one generation to the next so that each generation is as faith filled as the one preceding, and the circle is unbroken. The circle started with a babe in a manger.
Jesus was the first Christian (point to one of the green loops).
Jesus preached the gospel so that the next “generation” would be his apostles. They preached the gospel to others, who in turn preached it to others (keep moving your hands along loops, until you come to the last one before Jesus).
And here we are. What we want to do is keep ourselves close to Christ (point to the loop representing Jesus) so that the circle will be unbroken, even though it gets a little bigger with each generation!
Looking for more great Christian Parenting resources?
Then be sure to check out my Ultimate Mom Challenge Christian Parenting Cheat Sheets! It’s packed full of great activities that can help you face many of the parenting challenges we all struggle with!
Written by Mary Kate Warner
Mary-Kate is a regular blogger at Christianity Cove. You can often find her writing about Christian Motherhood, Homeschool Teaching, Bible Study and Sunday School Activities, Faith and inspiring children to love God.