This tutorial on how to sew a felt shark is perfect for kids to independently follow the steps and sew a shark of their own.
- Craft Felt
- Embroidery Floss
- Stuffing (poly-fil)
- Printed Template (HERE)
Directions for How to Sew a Felt Shark:
- Print the shark template (link in materials list).
- Cut out the template.
- Trace it onto felt and cut out the felt pieces.
- Place the eye on your shark cutout. This will be the top side of your shark.
- Stitch the eye onto the shark. Start on the back and bring your needle up through the shark and the eye, and back down again. Bring the needle back up, over the other stitch, and back down to make an X. Tie a knot in your thread.
- Stitch a mouth onto your shark. Start on the back and bring your needle up through the shark. Continue going up, down, up, down, stitching a line. When you are happy with the length of the shark’s mouth, end on the back and tie a knot.
- To sew the front and the back pieces of the shark together, you are going to use a whipstitch. A whipstitch is just bringing your needle up through both pieces of the shark, around the outer edge, and back up again. This stitch feels like you are going around, around, around.
- STOP before you sew the whole shark closed. You will want to leave room to put the stuffing in.
- Stuff the shark with poly-fill stuffing. Use your finger or a pencil to push the stuffing into all the parts of the shark. If you don’t have poly-fill stuffing, you can also use cotton balls (make sure to pull and stretch them out).
- Finish sewing the rest of the shark closed using a whipstitch (around and up, around and up). Tie a knot in your thread.
Check out our other Sewing Projects for Kids!