Going on a Letter Hunt

Going on a Letter Hunt….

going on a letter hunt

While B was napping one day I took these letter sticky notes and hid them all over the house. When he woke up I told him there was an alphabet mystery (referring to a favorite book) downstairs and he needed to help me solve the problem.

going on a letter hunt
When he found a sticky note he would bring it to me and tell me what letter it is and what sound it makes. Then I put them in order on the counter so we could see which letters we still needed to find. After we finished, he hid them for me to find. Fun!

Don’t have letter sticky notes? No problem. Make your own with regular sticky notes and leave off the picture.

Next time, I will plan ahead and stick the letters on things that start with that letter (L on the lamp, D on the door) so we can work on beginning sounds!

• Reply Montessori Moments

GREAT activity!
    Thanks for sharing!

January 25, 2010 at 2:29 pm
  • Reply BranFlakes

good idea!

January 25, 2010 at 2:31 pm
  • Reply maryanne @ mama smiles

Love this idea!

January 25, 2010 at 2:46 pm
  • Reply Sherri

Letter and number hunts are a regular at our house! Love it!

January 25, 2010 at 4:14 pm
  • Reply Michelle, Muffin Tin Mom

I love this! I think I will do this today with my kids!

January 25, 2010 at 4:18 pm
  • Reply Christy

I love this. Thanks.

January 25, 2010 at 4:28 pm
  • Reply artsy_momma

I love ALL your alphabet activities!

January 25, 2010 at 7:40 pm
  • Reply Olivia

Great idea! I’m trying this with my boy the next time we’re all here doing school. He’ll think it’s great to have an activity just for him!

January 26, 2010 at 2:40 am
  • Reply Sun-Kissed Scholars

Love it!! I have extra sticky notes handy… you know, I think I’ll do this right now. Would make a great surprise for my littlest people when they wake up.

January 26, 2010 at 3:35 am
  • Reply kewkew

My daughter just found some sticky notes. If I can figure out where she put them I think I will do this for tomorrow. We are having playgroup here this week (will be posting about it later this week on my blog, the idea came from our Pp lessons) and this could be a fun game. Thanks for the idea.

January 26, 2010 at 4:20 am
  • Reply Little Family Fun

This is awesome! And since my son is currently napping, I may go set this up right now!
    🙂

January 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm
  • Reply Nicole {tired, need sleep}

LOVE this idea! Where did you get your letter notes at? And I really like the idea of putting the sticky notes on items around the house that actually start with that sound. This would be such a fun game – thanks for the idea!

January 26, 2010 at 8:45 pm

What a cute idea! My girls and I went on a letter hunt in our neighborhood and took digital photos of the letters. Need to get back to this project. We are going to make a letter book. They really enjoyed searching for the letters and using the digital camera.

Jen
    Creative and Curious Kids!

January 27, 2010 at 2:53 am
  • Reply Miti

That’s a good idea!! I stay home with my 3yr old and I’m trying to teach him the sounds. I think he’ll like this game. Thanks for sharing. I’m definitely coming back for ideas.

January 27, 2010 at 3:53 am
  • Reply Swapna Raghu Sanand

Great idea! Will follow u for more!

January 28, 2010 at 9:06 am
  • Reply Multi-tasking Mommy

What a super idea!
    Where did you get those stickies? They are cute.

I did this with sight words in the summer last year, leading up to Junior Kindergarten. Every day while my son was napping, my daughter and I would play word hunt, it was a lot of fun. I let her hide the words and I would hunt and then we would switch.

Tip: Always count how many you hide so you know how many to look for!

January 29, 2010 at 2:55 pm
  • Reply Angela

love it

January 30, 2010 at 12:09 am
  • Reply Casey

This is a great idea. In case you are interested, we do something a little different. I put out several of the same letters around the house and she has to come back with all of the A’s (for example). I did the same thing when she was learning numbers. I like to make up silly songs while she does it to keep her enthusiasm up (“We’re looking for the “d”, we’re looking for the “d”, hi-ho the cherry-o, we’re looking for the “d””)

January 31, 2010 at 3:30 am

I got the sticky notes on sale at Walgreens after “Back to School” time.

Casey, love that idea to reinforce letters and the song too!

Multi-Tasking Mommy, great idea to hunt for words! You could even put the words into a sentence after you find them all!

February 1, 2010 at 2:30 am