Baby Activity – Texture Cards – Need Ideas!

Baby Activity – Texture Cards

baby activity texture cards On the blog, Inspiration Surrounds Creativity Abounds she created a really neat Australian Animal Activity (click on the link and scroll down a bit) for her kids where she had them match up the textures on the cards to how they thought the animal might feel.

As I was reading this, I thought about how neat it would be to start collecting different textures for baby N to experiment with. I’m expecting them to also go in her mouth so I’m not sure if putting them on the cards will work.

So I need your help/ideas! If I collect different textured items for N, any ideas on what I could put them on or how I could display them so it is safe for N to handle on her own (not unsupervised of course)?

• Reply MaryAnne

My 6mo daughter loves this texture book I put together for her:

I only used fabric and bound it securely so she could play with it and eat it without worrying about choking. I also love that it washes and dries very well =)

February 20, 2010 at 2:16 pm
  • Reply Deborah (Teach Preschool)

I think that is a great idea – maybe you can make a texture blanket!

February 20, 2010 at 3:59 pm
  • Reply artsy_momma

I made my son a tecture book when he was 15 months and he tore everything off! I can’t wait to see what you come up with or what other moms suggest 🙂

February 20, 2010 at 8:37 pm
  • Reply Little Family Fun

How funny! I just barely bought some fabric pieces and scraps that I was going to use to make a texture book for my little baby. I haven’t started it at all yet, but I had the idea to cut out the same shape from each fabric and stitch them onto another fabric and make a book out of it somehow…..I’ll post it as soon as I get around to it.

I love Deborah’s idea of making a texture blanket, and I looked at MaryAnne’s blog of her texture book. So simple. I love it! Anyways, I’d love to see what you decide to do!

February 20, 2010 at 9:52 pm
  • Reply Little Family Fun

Also, I just gave you some awards over on my blog! Have a good weekend!
    Linda

February 20, 2010 at 11:03 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

I’m not sure where I saw this idea, but you could use can lids (for example, from diced tomatoes), and glue each texture piece to a lid. (You’d have to have the type of can opener that removes the lid without creating sharp edges, of course.)

February 21, 2010 at 5:32 am
  • Reply Elise

I like Deborah’s idea of a textured baby blanket – sounds pretty durable. What about making textured blocks?

Thank you so much for featuring my blog on your site.

February 21, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I like the idea of a texture blanket too.

February 21, 2010 at 11:21 pm
  • Reply Susan

I made a texture blanket for my daughter when she was a little one. I should pull it out again for her. She used to really enjoy it and somewhere in the shuffle it got put away. Thanks for the idea!

February 22, 2010 at 5:34 pm

hmmmm so many great ideas! I’ll keep you posted on what I try. Thanks so much!!!

February 23, 2010 at 2:49 am
  • Reply Gwen

Great idea Nicole! I would put these textures together as a blanket, with a plain backing, much like a quilt. That would be safe, and none of the pieces would get lost!

October 25, 2013 at 12:02 am
    • Reply Nicole

oooh I love that idea! Even a smaller one that they could hold in the car too. Love it!

October 25, 2013 at 12:52 am