Starting a Collection – My love/hate relationship

I have a love/hate relationship with starting collections! B has started quite a few and he is very proud of them, but they end up ALL over the house. It drives me crazy!
starting a collectionstarting a collection
Character Collection (left), Pez Collection (right)
starting a collection
Eraser Collection
Then, the other day I watched him as he played with them and it hit me that he’s learning so much from them. He sorts them, counts them, arranges them, tells stories with them, and uses them in pretend play. Love it!
So although I’m not rushing out to help him start another collection, I am going to stop griping about the ones he has and appreciate all that he is learning from them.
What does your child collect?

• Reply angie @ the cellar door stories

i always loved collecting things as a child and had literally dozens of different collections! you are right ~ there’s lots of things to learn from them!! 🙂

July 7, 2011 at 2:02 pm

We don’t have clear cute collections. We just have stuff.

July 7, 2011 at 5:54 pm
  • Reply Lori

Legos! And they drive me crazy. But, I agree- they learn so much from them. 🙂

July 8, 2011 at 4:01 am
  • Reply Melitsa

Trying to get things to stay in one place is our struggle. While I get that things will float around the house I do get all AHHH! about it every now and again.

July 10, 2011 at 11:14 am
  • Reply Michelle Breum

When my kids were younger we had baskets and boxes etc. to keep their toys and collections separate. We tried playing with one thing and putting it away, but someone all toys got mixed up during creative play. Wow! The messes kids can make. They were using their imaginations though.
    Let’s see. You asked for collections we had. super heros, dora and friends, blocks, cars, legos, puppets, stuffed animals, play food and dishes, . . .
    We never got great at cleaning up everyday. Oh I’m so glad most of these toys are gone. However I wish I’d kept the wooden blocks. My seven year old son loves building with city blocks from toys r us. I wish we had the other block to combine.

July 10, 2011 at 4:56 pm
  • Reply Des

Hi! Visiting from Blog Frog, my son collects Transformers, GI Joes, Cars and Toy Soldiers. Now, he’s into blocks. ;D I fear it will be Xbox games soon like his dad. He’s wishing to get a Gold Xbox Live Membership. Oh well, he’s only 6!!! He also wants to get an iTunes Gift Card, he likes shopping in iTunes. 🙂 Best Regards! ;D

July 11, 2011 at 7:47 am
  • Reply John Murdock

toy cars, my niece has obsessed to become a racer or the owner of luxury car only… 😀

July 12, 2011 at 10:41 am