Our Alphabet Drawers

our alphabet drawers
For Christmas, I made B this set of alphabet drawers. I bought the drawers at the hardware store and used address labels to label them. I filled the drawers with miniature items that begin with each  letter and used the extra drawers for digraphs and blends.
alphabet drawers
You can use a single drawer and name each item as you put it under the letter, emphasizing the beginning sound.
alphabet drawers
You can also use two or three drawers and sort the items.
We’ve had the most fun hunting for items that go in the drawers.

• Reply Michelle Willow

Love it. 🙂 And I do have trouble finding tiny objects for our letter boxes so it’s a great idea you have it in your Etsy store. 🙂

February 21, 2011 at 5:07 pm

There are so many ways you can use this.

February 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm
  • Reply Together Time 4 Families

I have used the box to store the letters and now I will do both – letters and objects. Thanks for the link to where to buy the items. Thanks for sharing!
    Susan

February 21, 2011 at 10:49 pm
  • Reply Ewa

Nice drawer. I’m in the process of making one for my boy. Hugs. Ewa

February 22, 2011 at 11:33 am
  • Reply April

I never found a set of drawers that I liked the price of lol. I store my miniatures in large envelopes that have the letter written on the outside and then I keep them in a big plastic box.

I see we have some of the same objects, I can see from teh photo

February 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm
  • Reply Rachel

Stopping by from Works for Me. This is fabulous! I have a 2 & 3 year old and I think this would grow with them as they learn their ABC’s. Thanks for posting!

February 23, 2011 at 6:03 pm
  • Reply Casey Family Adoption

Good idea. I’ve been looking for something like this for my kiddos. 🙂
    caseyfamilyadoption.blogspot.com

February 23, 2011 at 11:17 pm
  • Reply Janicke Borges Moreno

I love this idea!!

May 21, 2013 at 12:51 am
  • Reply m

I have a magnetic wall in my classroom, so I cut up a shoe organizer, glued a magnetic strip on the back, and attached the letter on the front – lots of space to hold different stuff…not really limited by size. The kids can easily pull down a pocket or two to work on Letter/Word activities at the carpet…it’s worked great! No magnetic wall? Would likely work as well with Velcro tape on the back of a bookcase 🙂

July 13, 2013 at 7:56 pm