Drawing Through the Alphabet is a fun way for children to work on forming letters, use fine motor skills to draw lines and curves, and reinforce beginning letter sounds. Check out why I started this series of drawing with kids and make sure to scroll down to see what you can say to your child if they are upset with the way their drawing turns out.
- I think drawing with kids is such a fun way to spend time together! Start with the letter E.
- Each step of the tutorial shows you a detail to add in red. If your child wants you to do it for them, have your child pick up the crayon and put your hand over theirs and draw it together instead of doing it for them.
- Depending on your child, you may need to guide them through the drawing tutorial step by step until they get the hang of it.
- It might be helpful to cover all of the steps on the page, except the one you are working on. You can use sticky notes or a piece of paper to cover them.
- Right click on the picture above and save as a jpg to your computer. Then, open the picture from your computer and print.
- OR download it HERE and then print it from your computer.
After the elephant is drawn, if there’s still interest, encourage your child to add details to the background of the picture or to dictate a story to you about the elephant and you write it down as they tell it. You could even create a book of drawings and stories! Children love to see you write down their stories and ideas and read it back to them.
What if my child is upset that their drawing doesn’t look like the tutorial?
If your child is upset with how their drawing turns out, here are some things you can say:
- You’re an artist and every artist draws in a different way.
- Yours is unique.
- This just teaches you the steps to draw it. Everyone’s drawing looks different.
You may also like:
Drawing Through the Alphabet Letter A – A is for Angel
Drawing Through the Alphabet Letter B – B is for Bee
Drawing Through the Alphabet Letter C – C is for Caterpillar
Drawing Through the Alphabet Letter D – D is for Dog